At French à la Carte, we are very proud to offer different options that can be tailored to your needs. In small groups or one-on-one, join us in one of our fun and interactive classes and enjoy the best possible learning experience.
UPDATE - TERM 1 CLASSES WILL BE IN PERSON AND ONLINE SIMULTANEOUSLY
We want to give everyone the opportunity to attend our classes. With the current COVID-19 outbreak, we understand that not everyone will be able to attend classes face-to-face, so we will teaching hybrid classes for all of Term 1, which means that all our classes will be taught face-to-face and online via Zoom simultaneously. You can choose whether to attend your lesson in of our centers or online, from your home or your favourite café.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE REQUIRE THAT ALL STUDENTS & STAFF ATTENDING ON-SITE CLASSES BE FULLY VACCINATED.
Join our general French group-class and learn to understand written and spoken French, as well as speaking and writing it.
• Standard: 8-week terms or Intensive: 4-week terms
• 2-hour classes
• 16 hours per term in total
• Groups of 16 students max, 12 on average
• Location: St Ives or Mona Vale
Topics based on students’ interests and levels, focusing primarily on enhancing conversational skills and fluency of speech
• 8-week term
• 1 x 1-hour class a week
• 8 hours per term in total
• 6 students maximum
• Location: St Ives or Mona Vale
Do you want to study French at your own pace or do you have specific needs in French? Join our customized classes.
• Flexible schedule
• Customized lessons
• 1 to 6 students
• Location: St Ives, online or location of your choice
Our language & cultural workshops will help you practice, maintain, or reinforce your skills in various contexts.
• Half-day or full day workshops
• Usually during holiday breaks
• Language: Phonetic, grammar, conjugation workshops
• Cultural: History, gastronomy, games, Francophonie
• Levels: Pre-intermediate to Fluency
Our courses are split into levels ranging from Elementary to Fluency, covering all levels of language learning, from complete Beginners to very Advanced French speakers.
Each class stays at the same level for one full year (4 terms), and moves to the next level at the beginning of Term 1 in February each year. For example, if you start your journey with us in the Elementary 1 class in Term 1, your level will be Elementary 1 until the end of Term 4 of that year. You’ll move up to Elementary 2 the following year, in February.
Our classes also have « petits noms » (nicknames), representing French culture, ranging from famous French people such as Coco Chanel, Victor Hugo, Simone Veil, to French wines like Veuve Clicquot, Champagne or Rosé. This helps students remember what class they should enrol in from one term to the next!
Textbooks & Material
Elementary levels use a textbook that is not included in the course fees. You can purchase your textbooks online on Amazon, Book Depository or at Abbeys Bookshop in Sydney CBD. A set of textbook/exercise books is typically used for 8 term (Elementary 1 + Elementary 2 terms).
For all other levels, course material is included in the course fee. Non-Elementary level don’t use a textbook, the teacher provides handouts in class or documents via email for each lesson.
Elementary level classes are for students who have no knowledge or very limited knowledge of French. Complete Beginners can join the Elementary 1 level, whereas those who have studied some French a long time ago or would like to learn from scratch can join Elementary 1 or 2, depending on your level and availabilities.
These classes will help you communicate at an A1 level in French so that you…
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions.
- Can introduce yourself and others, ask and answer personal questions.
- Can interact in a simple conversation with a slow speaking conversation partner.
Pre-intermediate level classes will help you communicate at an A2 level in French so that you…
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to familiar topics.
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks.
- Can describe in simple terms your background and immediate environment.
Intermediate level classes will help you communicate at a B1 level in French so that you…
- Can understand the basics of matters like work, school, leisure etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst traveling in a French speaking country.
- Can write simple connected text on familiar topics.
Upper-Intermediate level classes will help you communicate at a B1+ level in French so that you…
- Can describe experiences and past events.
- Can describe dreams, hopes and ambitions.
- Can give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Advanced level classes will help you communicate at a B2 level in French so that you…
- Can understand a complex text, both general and specific topics.
- Can interact with native speakers, easily understand them and express yourself without thinking about language.
- Can write clear, detailed text and explain viewpoints on a certain topic by giving pros and cons.
Fluency level classes will help you communicate at a C1/C2 level in French so that you…
- Can understand a wide range of longer texts and recognise implicit meaning.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can express yourself spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
Contact us at 0400 141 370 or email@example.com for a free assessment of your level