LEVELS AT FRENCH A LA CARTE
At French à la Carte, we are very proud to offer different options that can be tailored to your needs.
In small groups or one-on-one, join us in one of our fun and interactive classes and enjoy the best possible learning experience.
How our levels work
Our General French classes are split into 5 levels:
- Beginner & Elementary (A1)
- Elementary & Pre-intermediate (A2)
- Intermediate & Upper-Intermediate (B1)
- Advanced (B2)
- Fluency (C1-C2)
These levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) come from a standard called the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference).
Our classes also have « petits noms » (nicknames), representing French culture, ranging from famous French people such as Coco Chanel, Victor Hugo, Simone Veil, to French wines like Veuve Clicquot, Champagne or Rosé. This helps students remember what class they should enrol in from one term to the next!.
Textbooks & Material
From Term 3, 2023, we're introducing a new textbook, called Prêt-à-parler 1 and will gradually phase out our current textbook Vite et Bien 1 - Edition 2. Both textbooks provide a range of real-life dialogues and situations that you will actually encounter when you travel to France.
Levels B1 and above don’t use a textbook, the teacher tailors the class to each group and provides handouts in class.
Elementary level classes are for students who have no knowledge or very limited knowledge of French.
These classes will help you communicate at an A1 level in French so that you…
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions.
- Can introduce yourself and others, ask and answer personal questions.
- Can interact in a simple conversation with a slow speaking conversation partner.
Pre-intermediate level classes will help you communicate at an A2 level in French so that you…
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to familiar topics.
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks.
- Can describe in simple terms your background and immediate environment.
Intermediate level classes will help you communicate at a B1 level in French so that you…
- Can understand the basics of matters like work, school, leisure etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst traveling in a French speaking country.
- Can write simple connected text on familiar topics.
Advanced level classes will help you communicate at a B2 level in French so that you…
- Can understand a complex text, both general and specific topics.
- Can interact with native speakers, easily understand them and express yourself without thinking about language.
- Can write clear, detailed text and explain viewpoints on a certain topic by giving pros and cons.
Fluency level classes will help you communicate at a C1/C2 level in French so that you…
- Can understand a wide range of longer texts and recognise implicit meaning.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can express yourself spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
Contact us at 0400 141 370 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a free assessment of your level
Learn to understand written and spoken French, as well as speaking and writing it.
• All levels
• 2-hour lessons
• $370 per term
French To Travel
Planning a trip to France? This crash course for survival communication is what you need!
• Beginner level
• 2-hour lessons
• $370 per term
Topics based on students’ interests, focusing on conversational skills.
• B1 level min.
• 1-hour lessons
• 6 students max
• $285 per term